When one goes to Paris one has to visit the global icon of France, the Eiffel Tower, an iron tower constructed on the Champ de Mars next to Siene river in Paris.“Gustave Eiffel” was the architect of this tallest building in Paris.
Hence, it is named after him. The supporting architects are Maurice Koechlin, Emile Nouguier and Stephen Sauvestre It was built between 1887 to 1889.It serves as tourist attraction with 5.5 million visitors on an average every year and stands in the list of seven wonders of the modern world.
The inauguration of the tower was held on 31st March 1889 and opened on 6th of May.
The total height of the tower including antenna of 24 metres is 324 metres. It is being used for radio transmissions from beginning of 20th century.
It is estimated that the entire structure including the non metal parts weighs around 10000 tons where as the only metal structure weighs 7300 tons.
The tower at present is painted in a shade of brownish-grey color. In order to protect from rust it is painted once in every seven years and require 50 to 60 tons of paint. For constant appearance to the spectators three classes of colors with darkest on the bottom and lightest on the top are used.
It has two restaurants : one Altitude 95 on the first floor and the other is Jules Verne (highly priced) on the second floor with a facility of private lift. One can access the levels either through stairways or lift.
Features Of Eiffel Tower :-
Ground Floor :
On the ground floor along east and west side of pillars one can have a look at the operation of 1899 machinery of elevator.One can also find impressing hydraulic machines developed by Eiffel. Even this is in use today after restoration and computerization.
First Floor :
The first level of Eiffel Tower is 189 feet from the ground.
- In the observatory one with the help of computerized laser technology the motions of tower’s summit can be measured.
- The Feroscope – situated around tower’s beam renders scenes representing the techniques employed in building the tower and its maintenance of painting.
- A kiosk display about the mythical painting of tower is present.
- The Cineiffel room with strange images of the tower.
- The detail view of Paris can be seen with an electronic telescope.
- The steeplejack painters made out of wax are roosted on a beam.
- Souvenir shops, post office with stamps labeled “Paris Eiffel Tower” and panoramic gallery showing monuments of Paris are found.
- Altitude 95 Restaurant is at this floor.
- A wide area to relax and stroll.
Second Floor :
The Second Level is 379 feet 7 inches above the ground.
- Joles Verne a gastronomical expensive restaurant is at this floor.
- At this level an elevator takes the visitors to summit.
- It is considered as a perfect floor for making photographs of monuments and also Paris.
- Animated scenes regarding the construction of tower and operation of elevators.
- There is an electronic panel indicating the number of visitors entering the tower, with a record of entries is made since it was built, naming familiar persons like charlie Chaplin and Hitler.
Third Floor or Top level:
The third floor is 905 feet 11 inches above the ground.
- The recently restored office of Gustave Eiffel, showing him welcoming Thomas Edison.
- The two levels one under shelter and the other in air displays panoramic view of Parisian sites either day or night.
- Dioramas represent the history of this floor.
- At the top Gustave Eiffel’s office is situated showing Eiffel welcoming Thomas Edison.
The delicacy of the metal work is high lighted in nights with gold lighting that is missed day time. The view of Eiffel Tower at night time is one of the great sites and should not be missed.